Takin’ a Hike: Service Charge Revisions
Takin' a Hike: Service Charge Revisions
We’re takin’ a hike! No, not literally.
Whether you’ve done a few events with us or have been lurking in the background, we want to share a very important announcement regarding revisions in our service charge.
Based on a survey we conducted in Spring 2018 and feedback throughout the year, it became evident that the large majority of registrants believe our services are worth more than our previous service charge.
For almost two years, we’ve operated on the brink and avoided passing costs to our consumers. As a start-up, we’re always revisiting our accounts and recently, we felt it prudent to revisit our service charges. In order for Samurai Sports to continue offering the services that we do and provide more options in 2019, we came to the conclusion that a revision in our service charge is fair and necessary.
For some, this may be an unacceptable increase in cost and we understand that this move may alienate some of our users. Unfortunately, this is a (calculated) gamble that we have to take.
We believe in transparency, so we’ve put together a brief explanation of how our service charge is changing starting November 11, 2018.
We ask for your understanding as we continue towards improvements to better serve you. We’re always welcome to feedback – email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Samurai Sports team
our rates are changing
・If entry fee is ¥5,000 or less, you will incur a flat fee service charge of ¥500.
・If entry fee is more than ¥5,000, you will incur a service charge amounting to 10% of the entry fee.
・If entry fee is ¥10,000 or less, you will incur a flat fee service charge of ¥1,000.
・If entry fee is ¥10,001 or more, you will incur a service charge amounting to 10% of the entry fee.
what you pay
Every time you register for an event with Samurai Sports you’re paying one price for two things:
event registration fee + service charge
for example, if it costs ¥5,000 to register for a half marathon, the service charge is ¥1,000 and you’ll pay ¥6,000.
Similarly, if it costs ¥19,000 to register for a triathlon, the service charge is ¥1,900 and you’ll pay ¥21,900.
what you pay for
why is there a service charge?
- 3.6% of your entry fee is paid to Stripe, which ensures a secure online transaction.
The rest helps us cover other operational costs, such as:
- Keeping the registration platform running
- Translating event information and event guides
- Responding to each individual email and phone call
- Depending on the event, the costs of securing our physical presence at an event.
what's cookin' for 2019?
- Rolling out more informative registration confirmation emails
- Introducing about 60 events in 2019 (compared to 49 in 2018)
- Introducing event series package deals
- Introducing cost-efficient accommodation options for popular events with limited area lodging, such as the Kujukuri 99T Triathlon
- Introducing original Samurai Sports medals available for purchase for events without medals
why choose samurai sports?
- Samurai Sports was borne by athletes who want to help other athletes. By registering for an event through Samurai Sports, you’re choosing to support fellow athletes – with an entrepreneurial streak!
- Samurai Sports delivers event communications in English. It’s easy to get left in the dark when you aren’t fluent in Japanese. We keep you updated and informed so you know what to expect. For instance, you’ll know when (and why) an event is delayed, altered, or cancelled.
- Samurai Sports has answers to your questions. As your main point of contact for your event, we do our utmost to ensure event registrants receive timely and comprehensive responses for any inquiries you might have before, during, and after your event.
- Samurai Sports collaborates directly with (mainly) Japanese race organizers to diversify event audience and/or competition. You’ll meet plenty of local Japanese nationals, but also have the chance to meet people from all over the world!
- Samurai Sports supports others. From discount codes to registration help, we support organizations such as Tokyo Trail Running, US Military Endurance Sports (USMES), the American School in Japan, and Triathlon in Tokyo.
From start to finish, Samurai Sports is here to support your pursuit of sports in Japan. Whether you’re a couch potato, weekend warrior, or a seasoned triathlete, let us take care of the finer details so that you can prepare for your event and enjoy the relevant activities stress-free.
Questions? Email us at email@example.com. Alternatively, send us a Facebook message.