Family Ii's Historical Shrine and Temple Half day Cycling Tour
There are numerous shrines and temples that were built around the Hikone Castle associated with the prestigious Ii Family. There’s not enough time to visit all of them by foot, so why not take a guided cycling tour instead? Escape the city and learn about the historical connections while you explore the beautiful outdoors. If time permits, you may even get to experience a little hill climb and see a different view of Hikone.
Cannondale’s hybrid bikes are comfortable, easy to pedal, and very fast. They are recommended for first time bikers.
Cannondale is a maker of premium mountain bikes with distinctive appearances. Cannondale’s mountain bikes are perfect for those looking for something lightweight and easy to ride.
※Please note bicycles are subject to availability. There may be times when it will be a different brand other than Cannondale.
NUMBER OF PARTCIPANTS
Min. 2 / Max. 15
Sample Route & Schedule
9:00 AM |
Start at Strada Bicycle Hikone
9:30 AM |
Umoregi-no-ya – Discover Naosuke Ii’s hometown and ride around Konki Park.
9:45 AM |
① Kitano Shrine – The deity from Kitano Tenmangu Shrine in Kyoto was moved to Hikone in 1620 by Naotaka Ii, the 2nd feudal lord of Hikone. The Kitano Shrine is known to help students and job seekers.
② Enjoji Temple – Visit the temple that Naotaka Ii built for his mother’s memorial service. The Enjoji Temple is dedicated to Kaikei’s (Japanese Busshi sculptor from Nara) work of Amitabha Buddha.
③ Soanji Temple – See the temple that was reconstructed by Naomasa Ii, the 1st feudal lord of Hikone. This temple also served as a shelter for the Joseon missions to Japan.
10:30 AM |
Castle Road & Yon-bancho Square – Feel the nostalgia of the castle town from the Edo Period and Meiji Period. Stop for a snack and shop for souvenirs! Some historical destinations include:
• Hanashobu Street (The Street of Irises) – See traces of the original castle town!
• Saifuku-ji Temple – Take a picture with the 5.5 meter statue of “Hikone’s Great Buddha” where Naonaka Ii’s Jizo (guardian deity of children) is enshrined. The Saifuku-ji Temple is widely known to help fertility and childbirth.
• Nanamagari Street – Literally meaning “seven curves,” this winding road near Seri River is filled with Japanese artisans, especially shops with traditional Buddhist altars.
• Chiyo Shrine – Known as the guardian shrine of the Ii family and is often visited for praying to the gods of acting and the arts.
• Chojuin Temple – The view from the main temple gate is said to have the most beautiful scenery of Hikone Castle. This temple was built by Naooki Ii and nicknamed “Hikone’s Nikko” because it imitated the Nikko Tosho-gu temple in Tochigi Prefecture.
• Ryotanji Temple – A family temple of the Ii family known for its beautiful gardens and Zen landscapes.
1:00 PM |
Taga Taisha Shrine – A very important shrine that was visited by many people travelling on the Nakasendo Highway and is closely associated to the Ise shrines. Taga Taisha attracts visitors from all over the world to pray for long life, successful marriage, and good fortune.
3:25 PM |
Take a train from Taga Taisha-mae Station to Hikone-Serikawa Station. Conveniently transport your bicycles using our “Cycle-Train” option for only 310 yen! Then, head back to Strada Bicycle Hikone.
4:00 PM |
End at Strada Bicycle Hikone
Please notify us 72 hours prior to the tour time if you want to cancel your tour. We will charge a cancellation fee based on the cancellation policy if you cancel the tour within 72 hours for any reason. Please see details below:
|72 hours or more prior to the tour time||0% of tour fee|
|24 to 72 hours prior to the tour time||50% of tour fee|
|Within 24 hours or the day of the tour or no show||100% of tour fee|